Friday, April 16, 2010

Family Circle Cup Tennis

Dave's daughter, Alex, recently signed up to play tennis at her school. My father was a big advocate of going straight to the pros when you start a new sport, so we immediately called around and signed Alex up for tennis lessons at the Family Circle Tennis Center.


Alex has had a couple lessons so far and they are working to help her develop the correct swing, improve hand-eye coordination and improve her serve.

The tennis center is amazing and hosts the Family Circle Cup, an all-women professional tennis event. The 10,200 seat Family Circle Stadium is the focal point of the facility.


A couple weeks ago, I climbed to the highest bleacher in the stadium and looked out over Daniel Island. It's an amazing place. I forgot to bring my camera, so I am going to have to do it again. (It's ok. I really need the exercise... I have been bingeing on blueberry cheesecake for about a month.)

One of Alex's tennis coaches, Gil Amar, gave us complimentary tickets to the Family Circle Cup Prequalification Rounds. Dave and I spent most of the day Sunday watching the event. The weather was beautiful and it was a totally relaxing. Dave even snuck me in a wine cooler as a surprise. What a sweetie pie. Thanks Dave! (Maybe that is why I was so relaxed...)


There was a good opening-day crowd and we had a lot of fun strolling around, checking out the vendors and watching the competition. This time I remembered my camera and got some great action shots.


These ladies were powerful and amazing. I would just kill to be that good. One thing I definitely need to work on? My serve. How pitiful it is. Check out these shots and look how high the toss is:


That's what I am going to start working on. The ball toss...

Anyhoo- I am all jazzed up about the Family Circle Cup. We just bought 4 tickets to the Game, Set, Rock! Tennis Amplified event. John McEnroe is playing in the doubles exhibition and I am crossing my fingers that John will show some of his notorious spunk and get pissed off about something.


One can only hope... I will keep you posted!

That's it for now. I have to get up early and drive to Myrtle Beach for an HOA meeting so I've got to get to bed at a decent hour.

Speaking of the Grand Strand... if you are going to be in the area and are looking for information on any of our fantastic Myrtle Beach attractions, be sure to hop over to Myrtle Beach Kids Stuff! We have the absolute best list of things to do in Myrtle Beach. Check us out!

TTYLG

No comments:

Post a Comment